Sunday, April 11, 2010

My running journal, 040810

The Tabata training protocol is pretty cool. Wednesday's workout ended with us doing Tabata sit-ups. Four minute abs!
The Tabata protocol is pretty simple. The workout spans all of four minutes, and consists of eight sets of 20 seconds of all out effort, followed by 10 seconds of rest, then 20 seconds all out, etc. Four minutes. Easy, right? Well, it is and it isn't. The first set you feel like you have all the time in the world, and then as the sets progress, the rest times seem shorter and shorter, while the work time stretches out, and the work gets harder. My sets broke down to 17, 14, 13, 11, 9,9,9,9. That last one was hard to get - it took me three seconds to get that last sit-up in. There wasn't any pain in the sets, just a decided lack of response from my abdominal muscles to respond as fast I wanted them to. The study usually used to show the effectiveness of the Tabata protocol indicates that it is potentially as aerobically effective as a 45 minute step aerobics class. I'd like to see more studies before I completely accept that, but i have a feeling it is at least approaching the truth.

Now that I know how a Tabata set works, as far as timing, I really need to work them into my training set. And to avoid overtraining, I'm only supposed to do a major muscle group Tabata set once or twice a month. I think that I am going to start usig my early Saturday mornings for track work. I have already blocked out that time for CFE workouts.

It turns out that I don't need to buy a new watch after all. I started playing with my Forerunner 305, and it has an interval function. And I can set it up for timed intervals and/or distance intervals. Which will be good, as it is hard to figure out how far 200 meters are on the street - I guess i could chart a route and break it down, block by block, but the last thing that I want to try and do while sprinting is to keep an eye on street signs or mailbox numbers. Easier just to have a GPS watch beep to tell you when you have reached your set distance. We'll see if I am smart enough to figure out the basic programming needed to do this.

Interval training hear I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment