Wednesday, April 7, 2010

My Running Journal, 040710

I slept in today instead of going out and running. I'm allowing myself to do this, as I am trying to ramp up my activity level while not overdoing it. Zero gain, or negative gain, is something that I want to avoid. I was tired all day yesterday, and the workout last night at the gym was harder than it should have been for me. The negative gain train has three cars, and one of those is a lack of rest. So I'm trying to let myself go about this in as natural a process as possible.

Based on some of the articles by the Crossfit Endurance gurus that I have read, ideally I shouldn't be training sport specific more than a few hours a week. So between the five hours of Crossfit that I am putting in per week, I can probably add a little over five more hours of workout time before I start to really stress myself out. Beside getting to a healthy weight and overall health, I am training to run in a marathon this year, and that is to build a base on which I plan to build up to participating in an Ironman level triathlon by the time I am 40 years old, if not sooner. I have to keep that in mind, that this step in the process is part of a greater and greater process.

I am trying to find out what the ideal level of aerobic training is. In order to be a good endurance athlete, one must have a strong aerobic base. What this boiled down to is that, at the end of the run, I should be able to bounce back, heart rate and respiration wise, within a few minutes. Sunday's run demonstrated to me that I have the aerobic conditioning sufficient to run an 11min/mile pace for at least 5 miles. I'm trying to answer a question in my head about what it means to have a strong aerobic base, and how you measure it without fancy lab equipment.

Reading about interval training has given me a little peek into this. Part of the interval training process is a rest period in between periods of exertion - part of this is to allow for aerobic recovery - breathing, oxygen, etc. One of the things that I can keep an eye on is how fast my heart rate returns to an aerobic baseline from an anaerobic level. Your max heart rate is supposed to be 220 minus your age, which means my max heart rate is around 186 bpm. For an intense interval training session, my heart rate should come up to about 170 bpm which would be about 90% of my max - and ideally, (if I am reading some of this stuff right) by the time my rest interval is over, my heart rate should have recovered back to the aerobic threshold, which for me should be around 70% of my max, or 130 bpm. So, does that mean that a solid aerobic base means that my heart rate is about 130 bpm at the end of a long distance run? Say, after a 10k? Or is it that my pulse rate gets up to 130 and stays there for the majority of the run? Some more reading is in order. I definitely feel the need for a heart rate monitor on my next run to see what is going on.

This Sunday I am taking a Pose running class. Time to start developing that skill set. I find it interesting to read back to some of my earlier posts about using chi-running skills to go faster. I'm trying to find the balance between that and what I am picking up about Pose technique.

Tonight we are doing some intense work at Crossfit. The last component of the workout is going to be Tabata situps. Which means several rounds of 20 second max output, followed by 10 seconds rest, for 8 rounds. So I may not run tomorrow morning, even if I manage to wake up early enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment