Thursday, March 25, 2010

My Running Journal, 032510

Today was a wash, as far as runs go. Woke up with the alarm and realized that I wanted more sleep.

So I did. Zero miles at a pace of Zero minutes per mile.

Since I am technically still recuperating from my “injury,” I get to rest. Which made me start thinking about the difference, if any, between “rest” and “recuperation.” Besides the semantics, is there a difference? Gotta think this one through.

I bought a 1 “Pood” kettlebell today. I find it kind of funny that kettlebells are basically measured using an archaic Russian system. One Pood equals 16 kilograms, which comes out to about 35lbs. Which is surprisingly heavy. I was eyeballing the 1.5 Pood Kettlebell, but I need to improve my form with all of the regular Kettlebell exercises. Heavier weights do not necessarily equal improved performance. I probably should get one that is ½ pood (8 kilos), as there are some movements that I tried today that I can’t safely do with the 1 pood bell, for a number of reasons – the primary one is that I’m not ready for that weight in those motions.

Thinking of running, and running performance. Yesterday I talked about running as fast as I could while still maintaining a good posture and pace. As I think about running as a skillset, and not just “Put one foot in front of the other, very fast,” I keep realizing how bad the coaching was that I have received throughout my life. I am sure all of the shortcomings are a combination of me being a bad/slow student, and my instructors and coaches not quite grasping a specific skill, or how to teach that skill.

I am adopting the train of thought that, when it comes to running, the answer to people’s problems doesn’t lie in a pair of shoes that correct for their gait. Or more specifically, the problem is exactly that. I am guilty of giving people bad advice like this, and buying into that thought process. It is interesting to think of how inculcated we are now to look at a physical problem like over pronation or supination and try and fix it with shoes that restrict motion. Up until these past two months, when I thought about running, I thought about pain in my ankles and feet, fatigue, and the shoes that I would wear. Big, padded, awesome shoes. I went to a store that specializes in running. I had my gait analyzed. Shoes were prescribed. Run in these, and your problems will be fixed.

But that is so much bullshit. As I read more, and experience more running in minimalist shoes, I can really see how corrective footwear is a crutch that does not help – and the harm that it can cause, through weakening of the foot, ankles, knees, etc., is tremendous. Now, I know plenty of people who run without discomfort or serious injury, and have all of their lives. It isn’t just the shoe. It is also the runner. I’m happy to see that more and more people have already realized it. That developing running as a skillset is important. Not just “here, try these on.”

I’ve worn a hole in my VFFs. It is really neat to see, since it shoes exactly where the contact is between my feet and the ground. So a new pair is in order soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment