Tuesday, March 16, 2010

My Running Journal, 031510

Today was a “rest” day, so of course I scheduled myself for an early morning Crossfit class. So much for rest – and to top it off, I think I strained one of my abdominal obliques, doing, of all things, a handstand.

Yesterday was scheduled to be a 4.5 miler, but I ran the Shamrock 5k instead. I finished in 30:17, which works out to be about a 9:40 pace. Not fast at all, but faster than I have been running any of the 3 milers, and plenty fast for right now. I probably could have kept that pace up for five or so miles – and I may have run the first and last mile faster than the middle one, since the middle mile in this race goes up Broadway, from Burnside up to PSU. The hill isn’t spectacular, but I haven’t done much in the way of hill work, and so grinding up it was a chore. Coming down the other side was pretty spectacular and fun. At the point that the course turned downhill, I started turning up my speed (same cadence, basically, just much, much longer stride) – which is easy when you are running downhill. What made it hard was that there were approximately 1000 people all in the same spot, and I think there may have been ten of us really trying to fly down the hill. Made for some awesome zigging and zagging, as well as abruptly having to slow down. I managed to keep enough in the tank to be able to sprint across the finish, but again, I encountered the same issue as I really picked up my pace – people bunched up, or running five to six abreast, at a much slower pace than I was moving at. Now I understand why they sent us out in waves – I can only imagine how a sub six minute/mile runner would feel getting stuck behind a bunch of 10 minuters.

The race, overall, was pretty fun. I hope that as the distances get longer, the fun level stays the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment