Thursday, January 6, 2011

"For in that sleep of death what dreams may come," OR, My Running Journal, 010611

So I’m not dead, contrary to no one in particular’s belief. I doubt that there is even the hint of a rumor out there about my demise. But to allay any possible fears on the part of my dear reader(s), no, I am not dead, and have not been near death any time in the recent past. Unless you count sleep as death, in which case, perchance to dream.

Anyway. Way back in May of 2010 I was all jazzed about running. Crossfit was treating me well as a training modality, I was feeling strong, and had high hopes for the Portland Marathon.

Well, at least I can say I finished the Portland Marathon. I’m not going to brag about my time – let’s just say that I finished before they re-opened the streets, and leave it at that. I did learn an important lesson that day. Of course, that was a few months ago, and so I have probably forgotten whatever it was that I was thinking.

Oh, I remember now. 2011 will be faster, and there will be 3 marathons. Two I am sure of – the Portland and the Marine Corps marathons. The third may be the Eugene or Haulin’ Aspen trail marathon. We will see. I’m in the process of planning out my year of races.

Oh, and that Crossfit thing? Totally a fad. Flash in the pan. Not only did I get stronger and faster, I got cockier (“No Way,” you say. “Way,” I say). So cocky, in fact, that I signed up for a trainer certification. I am now a Crossfit Level 1 and Crossfit Endurance certified trainer and a Pose level 1 coach. Totally a fad. In fact, such a fad that I am signed up for another Endurance trainer certification course, and am looking into all kinds of other exercise related stuff. Such a flash in the pan that I am now training five days out of the week, and have asked the owners of the gym that I go to if they need a helper monkey for their intro classes (fingers crossed).

When I was in my teens I couldn’t understand how people could get out of shape and unhealthy. I remember talking to a family member about how I felt that I was always going to be intensely physically active. At some point that thought process got away from me. I rediscovered that love of activity last year.

I’ve put together a running and training team. Ostensibly to have a fun run – training for the Shamrock Run in Portland. Just a simple 5k fun run. But I’m hoping to translate that running team into something greater.

So I’m not dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment